Friday, June 27, 2008

Vacation - Salsa gone horribly wrong!

So, last night Sarah and I were getting a craving for Chevy's chips and salsa. They do not have Chevy's in Utah or in Idaho, so you can imagine how much we wanted it. We had Eric do a quick search for the recipe online to see if anyone 'happened' to post it. We found several that were very similar, so we figured we'd try it.

During naps today after Temple Square, I ran to Walmart for the ingredients. I decided to half the recipe in case it didn't turn out. It's a good thing I did! After spending about 1/2 hour making the salsa (most of which was grilling 3 tomatoes and 5 small jalepenos), and while it sat in fridge for a couple of hours while we headed to dinner, and bringing home chips from the restaurant...I decided to give it a try even though I was far from hungry.

Wow! I have never had such a hot salsa in my life....and it was NASTY! It LOOKED like Chevy's salsa, but tasted nothing like it. One of the ingredients was Mesquite Liquid Smoke. It called for this knowing that hardly anyone was able to actually grill the jalapenos and tomatoes on a hickory grill. All I could taste was this nasty seasoning, and 5 jalapenos is without a doubt way too many! I tried to swallow it, but I just couldn't. I spit it out in the sink. I didn't even have the heart to have Eric and Joseph try it, it was so bad. But, I did manage to tell Sarah that it was horrible...and she just had to try it. LOL I am really surprised she did, actually. All she did was put one tiny drop on her tongue and she was instantly searching for a piece of bread from the heat. Since it was so bad, we decided to poor it down the sink. I even went so far as to ask Sarah if I should drop some Tums down there with it.

Moral of the story...drive 10 hours to Sacramento and bring back enough salsa to last a very long time!

No comments: