Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Victory at Last!

To start off, we live on a corner lot. We love it because we only have one neighbor on the one side of us, a currently empty lot behind us, and the road on the other side of us. We never have to worry about whether or not we mow the lawn at the same time as the neighbor so it doesn't look funny because we poured a concrete slab all the way to the property line on the one side, and with the empty lot behind us, well...we just have to worry about the weeds.

The downside to living on a corner lot...cars like to park on the street on the side of the house. Now, normally, this is sooo not a problem. However, since November we have had the same truck parked on the side of the house. We're not talking about a situation where the owner parks there when he gets home every night...we're talking constantly, unmoving, always. After a series of calls to our HOA in February, we were finally able to see that it at least moved back 30 feet, but then there it sat again. Even after an attempt to talk to the family, of which apparantly doesn't speak English, it still sat. Until yesterday.

I was so frustrated with having this beat up truck by my house, with hornets flying around it, that I finally called code enforcement myself. HOA wasn't helping at all, so it was up to me. I called on Monday and by Monday afternoon they were out there. They tried to tell me that since the truck had current tags they had every right to park there. Yes, that is true, but according to city code they have to move the vehicle every 48 hours, not every 6 months. Once they arrived, however, they realized that the tags had expired back in May. I know this sounds bad, but Yay! That was what we needed to finally get the city on our side! So, we waited and waited...Monday night, still there, Tuesday, still there....Tuesday night at 11:00 - finally parked in front of their own house! Woo hoo!

I know this really sounds petty, but it's about time. Between the horets, the difficulty in mowing my lawn in any direction but along the lot line, and the street sweeper not being able to clean the gutters properly right there, it was a pain in my backside! Like I said earlier, I had no problem with them parking there - as long as they actually drove the truck at least once a week. Now, I can breathe again.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Why wouldn't you want your house to be a car graveyard? That would be so annoying. Are you sure your husband isn't named Jeff? Just kidding. I told you I was horrible at names and now I just proved it.

Jodes said...

Your so funny Kim!

Orange Peanut said...

Lame, but yeah for you! We had that happen a few years ago, it turned out to be a stolen car and it was finally towed after making similar phone calls!