Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Proud, but still a ways to go...

I was SO proud of myself today. Many of you know that Hailey and I certainly have our moments...meaning that we don't always get along. We are both very stubborn and want what we want, when we want it, and it usually clashes with the other person. Well, today I had a break through. It was one of those days where I wanted her to clean her room, and she instantly had a meltdown, crying that it would just take too long and that she wanted a lollipop first. Under normal circumstances, this is when my temper reaches boiling point really fast because this is the reaction I get every time I ask her to clean her room. However, knowing this was going to occur, I was ready. I stayed very calm, called her over to me, and very rationally explained that if she would just hurry and clean her room (saving her closet for tomorrow), she may then have a lollipop PROVIDED she stayed in control of her emotions. WOW! I can't believe it worked!

So, here's where the WAS comes into play with the first sentence of this post. Several hours later when Rion was home, after an hour of off and on arguing, Chase crying, kids saying they were hungry, kids taking forever and whining while putting the dishes away, and me trying to make dinner, I was done. My boiling point was finally reached. I have a little ways to go when it comes to patience with my children, which oddly enough seems to be the only thing I don't have patience with. But, I'm trying, and that's what counts, right?

1 comment:

Angie said...

so true! It is usually OUR frustration that the kids play on. They have a sixth sense about those things. Good job with Hailey!!!