Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Salsa Redeemed!

Yay! Thanks to Sarah, and her ability to coherse the recipe out of a friend in the ward, my failed salsa attempt while in Utah has been redeemed. I have now tried this recipe 3 times and it is fabulous! It tastes very much like Chevy's, or at least close enough that I am not craving Chevy's anymore. Here is the recipe according to how I make it...

7-8 green onion – use almost the whole thing, cut of top inch or two and bottom roots
1-2 heads of cilantro – I only used one since the bunch was so big. If you find your salsa is green when done, add more tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes (drained).
10 roma tomatoes – cut them in half, then squeeze out all of the juice and discard
1 can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes w/ green chilis – I heard that this particular brand is best, and I actually use 2 cans
1 tsp-1 Tbsp salt – add 1 tsp at a time to taste. I actually used the whole Tbsp, as it sucks up the salt the longer it sits
Squeeze in lime to taste

Blend onions and cilantro separate from each other in food processor, then add together with tomatoes. Add remaining ingredients one at a time. Puree to desired consistency. If too tomatoey, add 1 more can Ro-Tel, if too spicey or too cilantro-ey, add more roma tomatoes. Let sit in refrigerator for a couple of hours to make the tastes mesh together. You may have to adjust things here and there, but overall it’s good!

7 comments:

Amie said...

I guess now that you have no need for Chevy's salsa, you will NEVER come back.
Sounds yummy, I will have to give it a try.

Kim said...

Having Chevy's salsa is just a perk...we actually come to CA for the friends! Did you get my email, by the way?

Rachael said...

What is Chevy's?

Kim said...

It's a Mexican Restaurant in CA that has the best salsa ever! I so miss it since there aren't any in ID.

S2H said...

Kim/Eric - Excellent salsa - it's the hit of the admin hallway. They are lined up for at least 8 feet waiting for a taste!

Emily said...

I love your blog! Eric sent the link to Daniel and I love all of the things that you have on it. I think I'll use your food storage list to get started. It is overwhelming to think of it in terms of getting three months worth.

Also, thanks so much for posting the salsa recipe! Daniel LOVES it.

Thanks!
Emily Shelton

Kim said...

Lined up 8 feet....LOL I love it!