Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Birthday Fun

As most of you know, my 30th birthday was on the 18th. What a day! I hope to be able to go through my day without typing a novel! I decided that since my birthday was on a Friday, I would take the day off work. Very smart with how full the day was!

The day began officially at 8:00 when Hailey, Chase and I set off to help a lady in our ward move her cow from one pasture to another. Her truck was having issues, so we offered the use of ours. Fancy is the name of the cow. She was pastured about 1/2 mile down the road from Carolyn, and was being moved to another pasture a few miles away. Fancy was certainly very cautious with me there! She kept bucking her head and didn't want to be trailered, but in the end we succeeded. Before we put her in her summer home, we managed to get some pictures with the kids. Boy were they excited!


After we dropped Carolyn off at her home, she was nice enough to let the kids pet her horse. Chase loved that! We still had a little bit of hay in the bed of the truck that he got to feed her with. He squealed every time she took it out of his hand.


Following our new animal adventure, we went shopping at Home Depot for some flowerbed birthday goodies! I decided I was going to attempt to spend the rest of the day outside in the flowerbeds. My green thumb has been aching to get dirty, and the cold weather has not been very cooperative. Fifteen bags of bark, three shrubs, drip-line, and a bulb shovel later, we headed off to get Hailey to preschool, with a solemn promise that I would not start until she got home. In the meantime, it was kitchen cleaning time while Chase and Savanna played.

Two hours later after we picked Hailey up, we were off to Walmart for birthday night ice cream - and ended up with about 12 containers of pre-grown daffodils and 12 containers of pre-grown tulips. Very exciting! I couldn't plant them, though, because of the freeze that the weekend was bringing, so they are still sitting in the wagon. I don't know, they kind of look cute in there! I don't think Chase is too happy with it, though.

At this point, it was now 2:30 and my flowerbed day was leaving me very quickly! I still had to make dinner and shower, on top of getting the weed barrier and bark layed. So, I put Chase down for a nap and got to work. By 4:30, I had a little more than 3/4 of the the biggest flowerbed done, and no more bark! I needed another 6-8 bags to finish the main bed, and another 8 bags for the smaller one in the back. So, I gave up and took my shower.

At 5:30, Shannon and Joseph came over for dinner and cake. Shannon brought a fabulous "shepherd's pie" dish (it's actually a Dutch dish with a shepherd's pie likeness, but I can't pronounce the name). Since we were so full, we settled down to watch some TV programs on the projector, which is when I realized that Chase and Savanna had been missing for a little while. I found them upstairs in my bathroom, shower turned on, soaking wet! All Chase's doing, I'm sure. The little rascal!

Shannon ran home really fast to grab some pj's for Savannah....however, when she returned, she brought a babysitter with her! I couldn't believe it! I normally see right through things that Eric has planned, and I nearly ruined the surprise the night before if Eric hadn't have done some quick thinking, but he managed to surprise me. I don't know if they talked Chase into playing in the shower, but it sure fit in to the scheming! Shannon and Eric had been planning a dessert date at Mona Lisa's Fondue Restaurant in downtown Nampa. All I can say is YUM! I had never had fondue before, and this combined with the French romantic atmosphere of the restaurant made a perfect end to very full day!

I am grateful for such a wonderful husband and great - albeit sneaky - friends! I just wish I could have shared this special day with everyone.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

It's Dutch, not German! Close enough, right? Autaplentofen, is how I think it is spelled! I'm not good at Dutch! lol

Kim said...

Oh, I'll change it...don't want to mis-represent anything! :) It was good, though!